My house has been covered in drywall dust for over a week now. And today we added plaster dust and just general dirt.
We are in renovation hell.
The first step was some fairly minor adjustments to the living room, to move the TV and AV system upstairs. Easy-peasy. So I agreed to the basement reno, which is taking decidedly longer. But Hubs is getting there. Today, the contractors arrived to do the kitchen. Basically we are living surrounded by boxes of our belongings, and losing walkable floor space every day.
|The before picture. So much white.
But it will all be worth it in the end. Honest. At least that’s what I keep telling myself. At any rate, here are a few thoughts on the reality of kitchen renovations, based on the first day in.
- You will find yourself rinsing produce in the bathroom sink. And you will find no one is the worse for wear. It’s the same water.
- You will also find that, although it’s the same water, the water pressure is not up to kitchen standards, and rinsing that empty dog food can becomes a bit of a chore.
- You will spend approximately 3 hours preparing a dinner that would normally take 15 minutes, simply because you can’t find any of your utensils. And – bathroom sink.
- You will merrily prepare a pot of pasta for your son who only eats pasta. And then realise you have no sink and have to carry the heavy pot of boiling water up the stairs, while avoiding tripping over various pets and the array of boxes filled with your missing utensils.
- After dinner you will look forlornly at the dirty dishes and vow to buy paper plates tomorrow. (That bathroom sink is pretty small.)
- You will curse the whole thing and wonder why you didn’t book a cruise for this week.
- You will, however, be briefly thankful that there is currently zero reason to bother cleaning anything until this is all done. Small mercies.
- You may even lose the Philips head screwdriver you needed to remove the can opener from under the cupboards before the contractors arrived, and later find it in the compost bin. Or maybe that’s just me. I’m beyond addled right now.
|Nice look, hey?|